hrough the generous donations of members of the Magellan Circle in the College of Social and Behavioral Sciences (SBS), we can provide a number of students with $500 Magellan Circle Scholarship. The scholarship is open to all undergraduate students in good standing at the University of Arizona who are majoring in one of the programs offered within SBS, who have a documented level of financial need, are making satisfactory progress toward their degree, and will be enrolled in classes at the University of Arizona during the Fall 2012 and Spring 2013 semesters. Recipients will be selected based on a combination of their academic performance and financial need.
2012 Magellan Circle Scholars will be expected to attend a meeting (date TBD) in the Douglass Building (two times will be given as a choice), a breakfast event (December 6, 2012) to meet your scholarship Patron; and the Magellan Circle Gala Dinner in Spring 2013.
Please note that the following groups are not eligible: previous Magellan Scholarship awardees, international students, and part-time students.
In order to apply, please submit the following (Please read carefully):
- Complete the online application and upload the following documents:
- A brief resume, (not more than 2 pages) summarizing your accomplishments in academics, employment, community service, and leadership.
- A brief written statement (not more than 2 pages typed and double-spaced) explaining why you believe you should receive a Magellan Scholarship. You may write about background and education, your professional and personal goals, your financial situation, and/or how this $500 award can help you achieve your academic goals. The latter is very important, since the final decision will be based as much or more on financial need as it is on academic performance.
- One letter of support (which can be written by an academic advisor, TA's or professor in the College of SBS or outside the College of SBS, or, if you are an incoming freshman, a high school advisor. If you are a transfer student, an academic advisor or professor from your previous institution is accepted. This letter must be emailed by the one writing the letter directly to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Current FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) must be on file; no need to attach the form. Please refer to the Office of Student Financial Aid website: financialaid.arizona.edu.
APPLICATION DEADLINE HAS BEEN EXTENDED!!!! APPLICATIONS WILL BE DUE AT 4:00 P.M. ON FRIDAY, OCTOBER 19, 2012. No late materials will be accepted, and we will not review incomplete applications. For information about the application process, email Jennifer Bailey in the SBS Development Office or call 520-626-6977.
All application must be completed online. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact:
JENNIFER BAILEY, ASSOCIATE DIRECTOR OF DEVELOPMENT
College of Social and Behavioral Sciences
Douglass Building Room 200W
PO BOX 210028
The University of Arizona
Tucson, AZ 85721